Planning a national conference and connecting LA to Darwin
The client was planning a national conference to be held in Darwin, Northern Territory. Nearly 1,000 guests plus international speakers were expected. The highlight of the conference was to be a remote keynote address via video conference link with an iconic figure to speak about the American property market.
Times have changed but our commitment to service hasn’t. The technology we used in 2000 is already far outdated.
- Liaising with suppliers and venues
- Organisation and co-ordination of logistics
- Webcasting, livestreaming + audio recording
- Technical direction
- Production management
The video conference link was set up with a Video Conference Bureau, a purpose built facility in Los Angeles, CA.
However, due to other commitments, the keynote speaker could only give the keynote from his Malibu home, 53km from the city and the video conference facility. Unfortunately, his home lacked the equipment or telecommunications infrastructure for sufficient connectivity.
The client had originally contracted with another company to provide all audio-visual production to the conference. However, the other company were not prepared to supply and service the video conference at both locations. Other large audio-visual suppliers were approached but none were prepared to provide the service.
Given that the speaker couldn’t make the trip to the Video Conference Bureau, things reached a stalemate.
That’s when the client reached out to con-sol. We were a regional supplier of audio-visual services to the client and had provided video conference services in the past.
The only possible solution was to equip the speaker’s home with the appropriate video conference equipment and telecommunications infrastructure capable of hosting a broadband quality teleconference.
There was so much to do, and not much time to do it.
Con-sol jumped into action and:
- Arranged the installation of ISDN lines through a national communications carrier servicing the Malibu area.
- Sourced a video conference consultant who visited the Malibu home and helped to co-ordinate services.
- Commissioned the Video Conference Bureau in Los Angeles to temporarily install the equipment that would relay the keynote address to the video conference venue.
- Installed in the speaker’s Malibu home the telephony and infrastructure required to achieve a reliable teleconference connection. This was a challenge in itself because of the speaker’s unavailability. We liaised with the residence manager to coordinate all activities.
Plenty of late night telephone calls were required due to the time difference between the US and Australia.
However, in the end we had a successful connection, which was tested prior to the conference confirming a successful teleconference connection.
The keynote address went smoothly on the day, with no technical glitches. The client was thrilled, and delegates were none the wiser.
The conference occurred in 2000, when high-speed and broadband connectivity were only beginning to emerge. At the time, our turnkey solution was cutting edge technology.
Although our technological capabilities have progressed well beyond the capabilities of 2000, we continue to go above and beyond for our clients.
If you need a hand organising an event you can be proud of, we can help! Chat with our team and let’s get planning.